Braised Baby Romaine
Dutch oven cooking is as popular now as it was centuries ago and today’s cooks have discovered that
this type of cookware is capable of producing an amazing array of delicious meals. We have collected many
Dutch oven recipes over the years and we hope you will use them to create some great meals for your family and
Braising this Baby Romaine lettuce heads certainly preserve all the nutrients that bring you completely
the flavors. With the crispiness from the bacon bits as it makes your children love this even more. Simple and easy
to prepare and you can serve in just less than an hour!
6 Baby Romaine lettuces heads
4 oz Bacon; diced small
1/4 c Chopped shallots
1/2 c White wine
2 tablespoons White wine vinegar
2 c Chicken stock
1 tablespoon Olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Tie each head of the romaine at two points (top and bottom) using butcher’s
- In a large Dutch oven cook the bacon until brown and crisp. Add the shallots
and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the tied heads of romaine and cook for about 1 minute gently move them
around to evenly cook.
- Add the wine and vinegar and let it simmer for about 1
- Add the stock and bring into a boil, cover and let it simmer for about 20
minutes. Stir frequently.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately.
Our Dutch oven recipes are primarily used with
cast iron dutch ovens, but you may also use
aluminum dutch ovens or
enameled dutch ovens. If you are new to dutch oven
cooking, we recommend you consider buying cookware made by a reputable manufacturer such a Lodge, Le Crueset,
Staub, All-Clad, Mario Battali, Calphalon and Emerilware. We check prices regularly for dutch ovens and by far
the best prices have always been found at Amazon.